If you aren’t yet acquainted with Big Thief and by extension Adrianne Lenker, I suggest you have some acquaintin’ to do. They make delightful music that walks the line between folk & rock & electronic & country & most of the subgenres within. Their latest album has been on my rotation all year. Plus it has the dorkiest cover.
When I first heard them I was like “Yeah whatever, you’re sort of pitchy.” But now they’re one of the few bands I call myself a fan of.
A few of my favorites:
- Mary. A quiet storybook hymn. Best enjoyed with headphones in a dark room.
- Shark Smile. Contains the most wonderful “woo!”
- No Reason. Listen for the sing-along chorus. Stick around for the sick flute solo.
- Two Hands. Clappity clap clap. Great percussion.
- Time Escaping. Bonkers track.
- Terminal Paradise. Really great build.
- Red Moon. Leans hard into hoedown mode. That link is a video of them recording it live.
And a handful from Adrianne:
- from. Just haunting. Get’s the full band treatment also.
- not a lot, just forever. Really sweet love song. Makes me swoon.
- forwards beckon rebound. Showcases Adrianne’s rhythmic fingerpicking.
✴️ Also on Micro.blog